Channeling Elvis, Link Wray, Flat Duo Jets. One man studio band with a little help, “old school” proving that the recipe still can work. Big guitar and vocals, sounds like its gonna be tradi-rock but then psyche and garbage can weirdness appears. Great stuff. Play with new Crystal Stilts, Doo Rag, all things John Spencer (e.g. Boss Hog, etc), Tav Falco and the Panther Burns, Detroit Cobras, White Stripes.
1. NO BIG THING – swampy, bouncy hip shaking (BEST TRACK?).
2. BUY AND SELL – slower jangle with tambourine.
3. SHADOW LINE – chorus effect on guitar gives this a strange 80’s new wave meets garage feel.
4. NOBODY HOME – swamp blues rhythm and mean tone, nice.
5. CRIME OF LOVE – tambourine, very Stones’y.
6. CRUEL WORLD – bluesy and soulful, slide guitar takes the spotlight.
7. BREAKIN’ DOWN – darker, fuzzier, cool guitar embellishments (BEST TRACK?).
8. GONNA SHOUT – upbeat and the fuzziness ramps up a notch, yeah!
9. THIGHT LIKE THAT – swampy smarmy blues, what Aerosmith dreams of in the old folks home.
10. THE STRANGER – slow epic bad assed blues swing, takes no prisoners.
KZSU • Stanford Radio 90.1 FM • ZOOKEEPER
Your Imaginary Friend • Reviewed 2011-05-01